Friday, May 9, 2014

End of Year Housekeeping Ideas for Teachers

When I was in the classroom, I used to struggle with what to keep and what to throw away every year at the end of the school year. I would stand in my classroom, and think, "Do I need to keep this?"  The same is true with technology files. "What should I keep year after year? What will I use again? What should I save? Is everything worth saving? Is it safer just to save it?" I still struggle with this. I have asked several colleagues what they recommend. I have also asked people who are considered "organizers" by trade. You know...those people you hire to come into your house and organize all of your closets.

Basically, both groups suggest the same thing. If you haven't used it in the past year, chances are you won't need it next year. THROW IT AWAY. :)

It will make you feel so much better. No more clutter in your inbox. No more junk in your documents folder.

Now, let's get organized for NEXT YEAR!

First, go ahead and make those monthly folders for next year. I know, they are going to be empty right now. But if you make the folders, you will be a lot more likely to use them. :)

Second, Color code the folders. You already do that with your bulletin board boxes, right? So, why don't you do that with your documents folders? It will be much more easy for you to access them later.

Finally, and probably most importantly, put the items in the correct places when you create them. Then, when you need to find them next year, it will be so much easier for you.

I hope this is helpful. I am going to give it a try myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment