As I watch students and teachers preparing for SAGE writing, I am reminded that we are really not ready yet, but there are a lot of great ways to get ready!
1. Use a whiteboard app on the iPads. Have your students write introductory sentences, then switch iPads. Have them continue through the writing process. The kids will get a kick out of writing together.
2. Use the website "Wonderolopolis" and use the day's topic as a writing topic. It can easily be transferred into a persuasive essay if desired.
3. Have your students use their iPads and use the camera. Send them out to the playground, lunch room, or other common areas. Have them take pictures of students following PBIS and students who are not. Assign them to use the writing app Pages and write a persuasive essay as to why students should follow PBIS and the effects of not following it.
4. Have your students use the camera and interview a teacher. Have them write using the Notes app about this teacher and how teaching has shaped him/her. (Explanatory)
5. Use Utah Compose on a daily basis between now and the test. VERY IMPORTANT. Kids need exposure to the tool!
6. Go in with your students into the SAGE training test at least once. Make sure they know how to use the tools, such as highlighting.
Most importantly, make sure they know that writing is a great skill. It can be a lot of fun and can engage them if given the proper tools.