- Wear safety belt, follow driving and traffic laws and obey signs.
- No cell phone use while driving: this includes talking and texting.
- Limit cell phone use while riding as the passenger in a teenage driver's vehicle. This will limit the distraction to the new driver.
- Lower the volume on the radio and music. Be aware of emergency vehicles and limit distractions.
- Limit nighttime driving. Utah Law states that teen drivers under 17, may not drive between Midnight and 5 a.m. (See exceptions)
- Parents: Be a good example while you are driving and your teenager will be more likely to follow your rules and expectations.
An example of a Parent/Teen Driving Agreement can be found here and is provided by the National Safety Council.